Centro Congressi Lingotto - History

Auditorium Giovanni Agnelli

Built between 1917 and 1922, Lingotto was designed by architect Giacomo Mattè Trucco in a rationalist, innovative style. The building symbolised a turning point in the development of Italian industry, marking the end of one era and the start of another.


Many generations of workers have been employed in the workshops of this great industrial complex, manufacturing not only cars but also aero engines, commercial vehicles and household appliances.

Having already undergone many renovations over the years in response to changing industrial needs, in 1985 the factory ceased production.


In 1989 an international competition was launched to transform the Lingotto industrial area into a modern multifunctional centre.

These were years of frenetic activity, as the winning project by Genoese architect Renzo Piano– designer of the Beaubourg in Paris in the 1970s – was turned into reality, earning acclaim from architects and engineers around the world.